Events, Themes & Activities
Download the Denison150 Monthly Themes
With spring ushering in and spring break ushering the kids out of the classroom, March is all about the cultural arts and enjoying experiences that celebrate Denison150. From creating a Denison story by taking part in the library’s share your story program, enjoying the City’s Public Art Tour, or taking a break from the grind to let your creativity take center stage, March is focused on creation and creativity.
Craft your own creative offering this month:
- Grab some Denison historic coloring images for the kiddos.
- Create your own Denison150 window, office, or home display
- Pick up some sidewalk chalk and show how #denison150 inspires your creativity.
- Sing, dance or recite how you are celebrating #denison150 this month.
Get Outside Denison
April’s Denison150 adventures are calling you to get outside, relax in a park, and take a moment to appreciate all that the outdoors provides. It doesn’t matter if you’re watching kids hunting for one of 150 Easter Eggs, throwing a disc at Munson Park, focusing on fitness at THF Park, or tuning into nature at a local state park—just get outside, Denison!
April is showering us with inspiration on ways to Denison150 this month such as:
- Doc Holliday Saints & Sinners Festival is all things Sesquicentennial this year. Come downtown and enjoy the outdoors as you take a step back in time on April 30th!
- Organize a Self-Led Cleanup and clear the community clutter with Keep Denison Beautiful In honor of National Volunteer month
- Enjoy a Saturday morning at the always delightful Downtown Denison Farmer’s Market which returns in April
- Gather your neighbors for an outdoor gathering in the form of a neighborhood Sesquicentennial BBQ or Denison150 block party
Denison Past & Present
May is a month for reflecting on the past with a focused lens on the present. Denison150 during the month of May provides opportunities to enjoy Denison’s most significant contributions of the past. T.V. Munson and his contribution to French wine industry is celebrated at the Art, Walk & Wine event. In addition to wine tastings, the event showcase musical offerings from yesterday, today and tomorrow at the first Music on Main of our Sesquicentennial year. It’s easy to enjoy our history during National Preservation month and Travel and Tourism week with Denison150 displays at the State Travel Center, sesquicentennial themed floats in the Memorial Day Parade, but for all of our history seeking over achievers here’s a few more avenues to combine the past and present this month:
- Bring some future leaders of Denison out to Grayson County Pioneer Village & Museum.
- Visit one of many Texas Treasures Business Award recipients in Denison, a statewide award that recognizes Texas businesses with 50 year history or more.
- Explore some North Texas’ railroad history at the Red River Railroad Museum.
- Take a stroll down Main Street and enjoy the new D3 streetscape, marvel at the architecture and contribute to the future of small businesses of your choice by shopping and dining downtown.